Aleia O’Reilly, here. I’m Robert’s wife and recently designated “Camp Activities Specialist,” here to introduce Campfire Tales. This idea has developed over years of Robert offering raffle and silent auction items for local fundraisers. Winners were able to join the creative process by naming characters before the story was written. . . Such fun! Blinky, Leila, and Father Finnegan are a few so named. Most recently Robert offered a gift card in which the auction winner would not only name a character, but also choose the type of story and setting. Our winner, Jim, chose the name ‘Gayle’ in an abandoned ghostly mining town. Robert’s working on that story as we speak.
As you may be aware, Robert is no stranger to the process of writing a story based upon various cues. He has participated in writing stories for several fund-raising anthologies with themes like unicorns, dragons, and undersea creatures. With the help of our Newsletter readers, he will produce the Campfire Tales Anthology. As the Camp Activities Specialist, I get to set up the steps, track the progress, and keep you all informed as to how he’s doing with the writing. So, without further ado, here are the steps:
- Step 1: If you are not already a Newsletter reader, go to the Newsletter Sign Up page, enter your email, then click on “Sign Me Up.” This will make you eligible to give Robert Campfire cues!
- Step 2: Imagine you are gathered around a crackling campfire wishing for a good story.
- Step 3: Answer a couple Survey Monkey questions that will determine parameters for the story. . . ghosts, time travel, funny, scary, etc. (it’ll take you less than 1 minute unless you have to think really hard about your choices).
- Step 4: Robert will select from your requests and write a story inspired by you.
- Step 5: After Robert’s author processes are complete, Newsletter recipients will get to read the story for FREE by the light of your own campfire, candle or Kindle.
I’ll be joining you around the campfire regularly to keep you updated as to his progress. I hope to hear from you with your ideas for Campfire Tales! If you have any questions about the process, leave a comment for me below.