Two Years On
Two years. Wow, I really can’t believe it. A lot has happened to these stories since this crazy experiment was finished:
- 4 stories have sold (over 13%) and I have a few more sales pending (check the links out below, one is available to read for free online). If all goes as planned that will hit 20%. Amazing. These stories are my first professional sales. See by blog post about The Disappearing Neighborhood.
- 3 of these stories I have released as part of Woody and June versus the Apocalypse. Another 10%
- 3 stories are still waiting for me to get back to them. Really not the way to do it, but I’ve had other priories.
So doing a little math, if I end up selling 6 stories and publish 3 myself (there will be more at some point) that means 9 out of 30 stories made it out into the world.
To put that in perspective, I’ve had plenty of years when I didn’t even finish 9 stories, much less sold or published them, and I certainly didn’t do the bulk of the work in 34 days.
This has been a total game changer. Two years on, I am writing more, publishing more, and selling a lot more stories.
Volume means practice, and like any art form, practice is crucially important (you know, it’s how you get better).
- More of these stories will be coming out. Keep any eye on my blog here, on my facebook page or twitter.
- Woody and June versus the Apocalypse: Three of these stories were written during the challenge. In total there are seven and make a nice novel-length arc that will take a couple more months before it’s all released. I think the pressure of the process had a big part in this actually happening–I didn’t have time to overthink it. These are fast reads and so much fun. I’m giving away the first two episodes, if you are interested.
- When I write more in the series, both the “Death by” and “In Time” stories will get their own collections adding to the count of these that end up getting out there.
|#||Story||Total Words||Done?||To Market|
|1||Woody and June vs. the Fungus-Head Zombies||5101||Yes||Released|
|2||Daisy’s Heart||5800||Yes||Sold, coming soon in Pulphouse Fiction Magazine|
|3||The Disappearing Neighborhood||2773||Yes||Sold and available in Pulphouse Fiction Magazine|
|4||Woody and June vs. the Grand Canyon||6070||Yes||Released|
|5||Home in Time||4483||Yes||Yes|
|6||Wink, Plum, and the Bones that March||5972||Yes||Yes|
|7||The Stars in Hoshi’s Eyes||2532||Yes||Sold, read it now for free|
|8||Android Eve and Adam||3512||Yes|
|9||A Long, Hard Fall||8475||Yes||Yes|
|10||Fitz’s Second Chance||2800||Yes|
|12||With Light Years Between Us||4670||Yes||Sold, coming soon|
|13||Life and a Starling||2278||Yes||Yes|
|15||Jump in Time||8768||Yes||Yes|
|16||Death by Vodka||2100||Yes||Yes|
|17||Death by Cookie||4094||Yes||Yes|
|18||Ela and the Naiad||3655||Yes||Yes|
|19||Is Anyone Receiving This?||1717||Yes||Yes|
|20||Breathing in the Stars||2400||Yes||Yes|
|21||Woody and June vs. the Ex||10232||Yes||Released|
|23||One Last Trick||4312||Yes||Yes|
|24||Death by Apathy||3373||Yes||Yes|
|25||A Changeable Face||5241||Yes||Yes|
|26||Last Days with Mary||2818||Yes||Yes|
|27||Let Go the Stars||861||Yes||Yes|
|28||Goodbye Mrs. Hopkins||1329||Yes||Yes|
|29||Death by a Kiss||3912||Yes||Yes|
|30||Through Other Eyes||3372||Yes|