Okay, so I’m bit of a romantic (okay, okay, a big-ole romantic) and I love certain types of superhero stories. Most of the time, those that are on the fun side of the spectrum. So my series Neutrinoman and Lightningirl: A Love Story is not really a big surprise.
The first episode, Meteor Attack! came out in 2012, and Protocol X in 2014. The idea for the big whopping epic story came to me early on in my writing and it’s what I started work on after the more heavy themes of Shuffled Off.
It wasn’t supposed to take this long to role out more episodes. A few things conspired to keep me away from it for a while:
- Big whopping epic story. My tendency is to write close-up intimate stories. And this series has a lot of that, but it also has a lot of characters and moving parts and other epic story challenges. I knew when I first conceived of it that it would take a lot of words to tell this story and the scope of it takes extra time.
- Back log. I’ve written a bit about this before, but I had some tough years with my mother’s care and death that got me way behind in finishing and publishing some of my books. We’re getting to the end of that backlog. Finally.
- Woody and June versus the Apocalypse. This series, which dominated last year, is a close cousin of Neutrinoman and Lightningirl (romance, adventure, and is playful with genre tropes) and it cut in line and got out first. I know, rude, but Woody and June is a blast too, so I think we can forgive them.
But now we’re back, baby! Off Book is out today (only $2.99 in the US, such a deal) and two more books are scheduled for this year (plus the Season 2 omnibus edition). I’m really glad to be here. I love these characters and this story. Season 2 is, even for me, very surprising. The story really takes off in directions both surprising and delightful.
Here’s the schedule (and now that it’s public you all can hold me to it):
- Off Book, episode 4: Out today
- Hard Times, episode 5: April, 2020
- Elemental Factors, episode 6: June, 2020
- Season 2 Omnibus (episodes 4-6): August, 2020
The blurb for Off Book episode is below, but now I will conduct a brief Q&A with myself to, hopefully, answer any questions you might have:
Q: Are these books stand alone, can I start with Off Book?
A: These stories are structured kind like a TV show, with a story line resolving in each book, but a longer story line running through all the books. This being the first episode in season 2, and season 1 being a while back, there is plenty in there to get you into the story or refresh your memory. So, yes, you can start with Off Book, but will have a better experience starting from the beginning.
Q: I’ve heard you give away episode 1, Meteor Attack! to newsletter subscribers. Do you mind if I sign up just long enough to grab the book and go?
A: Thanks for bringing that up, and no, I don’t mind at all. You are welcome to grab the book and go. If my emails don’t work for you, then certainly don’t stick around.
Q: I don’t like email (we all get so many). Is there another way to keep up with releases?
A: So many. Here are a few:
- Follow me on Amazon.com or Bookbub.com, and they’ll let you know when a new book comes out.
- Join me on facebook or twitter. I announce all releases there.
- Keep an eye on my blog, I’ll announce here, of course.
Q: Are you actually going to finish the series? I have started too many series that authors never finished.
A: Well, it is my intent to do so, but I don’t have a crystal ball and while I have some pretty psychic characters, I’m not one myself. I can tell you that my characters tend to start bugging me when I leave them for too long (lately it’s been Woody Beckman and I’ve been hearing whispers from JJ Lynch from the Shuffled Off world). Don’t look at me like that. I’m a writer, I’m supposed to have voices in my head. Really!
Q: So if you are going to finish the series, how many more seasons are left?
A: Good question and I don’t have an answer. At least one, maybe two more seasons. Because of the way I write, I won’t know until I get there. But I am determined to get there or else Nik and Licia won’t leave me alone. I really want to know how it all turns out too.
Q: Where is this wonderful book available?
A: The ebook is available everywhere. The print book will be available any moment.
Q: I know some folks that might like this series. Where do I send them to find out more?
A: In honor of Season 2, we’ve got a lovely page for the series at Neutrinoman.com.
Okay, enough talking to myself. The blurb and the lovely cover are below. Hit me up with any questions you might have in the comments.
An Impossible Mission…
When Nik Nichols (aka Neutrinoman) and his new partner Quinn Rask head to Las Vegas on an off book mission to try to capture Chaosboy, they end up with much more than they bargained for. An impossible mission to stop a new powerful q-morph named Gaia bent on the destruction of Las Vegas.
They’ll need Lightningirl and all the luck they can get to stop Gaia. This time, what happens in Vegas, definitely does not stay in Vegas.
From the author of Woody and June versus the Apocalypse comes a fun, romantic, superhero adventure. Off Book is episode 4 of Neutrinoman and Lightningirl: A Love Story.